- Level 5 short course designed for students seeking a foundation in Carmelite Studies
- Delivered fully online and available to study on a part-time or full-time basis
- A modular course enabling students to choose from an extensive range of modules
- A course that can also be tailored to suit the interests of groups or communities
- Accredited by the Carmelite Institute of Britain and Ireland, with certificate awarded on completion of eight modules
The Discovering Carmel Certificate is a level 5 short course offering a foundation in various aspects of Carmelite Studies and is a wonderful introduction to the Carmelite spirituality, heritage and culture.
This short course is ideal for those who are looking for a short ‘taster’ course in Carmelite Studies or who wish to study the Carmelite tradition for the first time.
The course is delivered in the form of a phased release of reading material, which encourages a reflective approach to study and learning. The content is accessed online, and support is available through the administration team in CIBI.
Students usually register for one module at a time and it generally takes six weeks to complete a module. There are four entry points to the course, two in semester one and two in semester two.
- Semester 1: September – December
- Semester 2: January – April
To complete the Discovering Carmel Certificate students
- Choose and study eight modules, and
- Complete and submit a ten-question assessment at the end of each module
The certificate will be awarded on completion of eight modules (selected by the student – there are no mandatory modules).
Each module comprises 5 units of content to be read and reflected upon. The content of one unit is equivalent to approximately that delivered in a 45 minute lecture.
Modules are divided into four categories, listed below.
1. The History of Carmel
2. The Spirituality of Carmel
3. Carmelites Across the Centuries
4. Contemporary Perspectives on Carmel
The Discovering Carmel Certificate is accredited by the Carmelite Institute of Britain and Ireland and on completion of eight modules, to the satisfaction of the Director of Studies, CIBI will award a certificate in acknowledgment of the studies completed.
- Initial one-off registration fee €25 (non refundable)
- €35 per module